Then & Now: Barnesville (Sellman’s Depot”) Train Station, 1912
BARNESVILLE (“Sellman’s Depot”) B&O TRAIN STATION (THEN): Barnesville Station, constructed circa 1873, this frame building apparently housed the post office as well. The station house in 1874 was referred to as “Sellman’s Depot”, and was named for William 0. Sellman, owner of the lands on which the station was built. Development began around 1873 when the railroad came through and the town was gradually abandoned with the advent of interstate highways and automobiles. The station was demolished in the 1950’s.
BARNESVILLE MARC STATION (NOW): Built about 1930 as the first metering station for the Washington area gas supply, this building was saved from imminent destruction by concerned citizens dedicated to both the preservation of the visible past and revitalization of the railroad. On February 16, 1977 the historic metering station owned by the Washington Gas Light Company traveled 23 miles by road from Rockville to begin a new existence as the Barnesville railroad station. The squarish little structure had a makeover after the move. It was painted inside and out and and a wide overhanging roof was added just below the original roof line, giving the building more an authentic “train station” look, and it was re-dedicated on October 10, 1977. Snuggled up against the woods, surrounded by trees and shrubbery in a rural area just south of Barnesville on Route 109 (Beallsville Road), the station today is a pretty sight.
Source: The Montgomery County Story Newsletter, Vol. 37, No.1, February 1994. “Train Stations and Suburban Development Along the Old Baltimore and Ohio Railroad” by Jo Beck