The exterior of Reed Brothers Dodge had undergone many changes since 1915. This is a collection of the various exterior changes the dealership made throughout its almost 100-year history. (click on images to enlarge)
Original 1915 Rockville Garage located at the intersection of Veirs Mill Road and Rockville Pike. The sign on the right side of the Garage reads Gasoline, Fisk Tires and Supplies. Note the single gas pump in front.
1917 Original Rockville Garage with 2 story addition. At the left side of the two story building was a narrow vehicle entrance that led to the service department in the rear. A house can be seen behind the addition. Lewis Reed later purchased the remaining lots (6 total) to expand his dealership in the back. Until 1920, Dodge sported a set of six hexagonal windows in the back of each passenger cabin on their Touring and Roaster models. These were called cathedral lights and became the first trademark feature to make Dodge vehicles stand out from the rest. Parked in front is an early Dodge car with the exclusive Dodge Brothers cathedral-style rear curtain windows.
1917 Original Rockville Garage with 2 story addition. Note the Texaco Filling Station signage and the Texaco Petroleum fuel truck refilling the single pump in front.
1918 Two Story Addition to Original Shop. View From Rear
1918 Two Story Addition to Original Shop. View From Side on Rockville Pike. The first floor housed the Service Department and upper floor was used for parts storage. The chimney was probably to a coal furnace that was used to heat the building. The many windows allowed natural light for working on cars. Back in this time electric lighting was sparse and natural day light was what most people worked by. Signage for Firestone Tires replaced the Fisk brand that was sold at Rockville Garage earlier in 1915.
Reed Brothers Dodge got a new facelift and remodel in 1921. The original part of the garage was converted into a new car showroom and the service operation was moved out into the rear portion of the building. Note the modern gas pumps. The Rockville Fair Grounds are beyond the boarded fence.
1922 – New awning on the front of the building. Three of the crew are seen posing with Dodge Commercial Cars.
1927 Gulf Gasoline drive-through filling station. Note the unpaved dirt road on Rockville Pike and trolley tracks.
A modern drive-through canopy was added along with new gasoline pumps and Dodge Car and Truck signage. The Alemite sign in front indicates that Reed Brothers also sold and used the Alemite lubricating system.
A close-up view can be seen of the new gasoline pump-island with four pumping units along with the motor oil dispensers used at that time. The old pump island can be seen to the left along with a new “That Good Gulf Gasoline” sign. In the background is the old St Mary’s Church and Cemetery in Rockville.
Another Facelift After WW II, ca. 1946
Reed Brothers Dodge canopied Gulf Gas Station. View Rockville Pike side
Reed Brothers Dodge canopied Gulf Gas Station. View Veirs Mill Road side.
Reed Brothers Dodge, ca. 1940
1968 front after reconstruction of Gulf Gasoline station. The concrete ramp on the left led up to the Auto Glass and Body Repair Shop
New building for the Showroom, Parts and Service Departments. View from the corner of Rockville Pike & what is now known as “Dodge Street”. The State of Maryland named the connector street behind the dealership’s original location, “Dodge Street,” commemorating Reed Brothers’ presence from 1915-1970.
New building for the Service Department. View from the corner of Veirs Mill Road & “Dodge Street”. Opposite perspective as photo above.
Service Department entrance on Veirs Mill Road side – circa late 1960s
1968 – side view on Rockville Pike
1971 brought a brand new 26,000 square foot facility and a new address: 15955 Frederick Road Rockville MD
2006 – new facade
2009 – Reed Brothers Automotive with new logo